Friday, May 30, 2014

Over the first hurdle

I've had 10 surgeries in my 37 years.  This is only one that has not been (mostly) elective.  The others were definitely necessary, but not in any way dealing with something life threatening.  They were more quality of life issues.  This one yesterday was a life saving operation, and it was by far the easiest one I have ever experienced.  I believe that is 100% because of my amazing friends and family (YOU!) who have been praying for me.  The procedures before the surgery were what I was most nervous about, and they all went without a hitch.  The first thing they did was inject 1/1000 microcurie of radiation that would travel to the sentinel node.  I was told that this was very painful for a few minutes.  It was, but I had a wonderful nurse who held my hand, and it wasn't nearly as bad as my imagination.  Then, I was really nervous about the IV.  Usually it takes 3-4 sticks before they find a cooperative vein.  My nurse, Lisa, got it on the first try.  Finally, anesthesia usually makes me very sick, but I felt perfectly fine and had no trouble at all.  THANK YOU so much for praying.  I had an amazing health care team who were compassionate, funny and amazing.  I was surrounded by friends and family.  One nurse came by and commented about my fan club in the waiting room. :)  I know at least one friend was fasting for me all day.  I am overwhelmed by the people God has put into my life to help me fight this battle.  I am full of gratitude to Him and to you all for being used by Him.

I won't know anything about chemo until Tuesday or Wednesday.  They forgot to send the node for testing during surgery.  I'm actually very ok with that.  This way I'll find everything out at one time and won't have to only have partial information.

I have a few funny stories to tell, but I'll put them in separate posts.

1 comment:

  1. You are going to find the most amazing people that come into your life because of the cancer. You would have never had a chance to meet them before. For me, I never said, why me.....why not me? I wasn't any different then the next person. I figured that God knew this before i was born and it was just a little detour in my road of life. I got along well with chemo. If you have to have it, wear your bald head as a badge of courage. Love you.

    ReplyDelete