Friday, May 30, 2014

The importance of knowing your math symbols. (funny story #1)

When I first met with Dr. Buntinas, my oncologist, I had to fill out lots of personal information.  One of the questions they asked was about alcohol consumption.  There is a link between drinking 3 or more drinks a day and breast cancer.  I had several options that didn't fit, so I wrote in that I drank less than one drink a day.  I used the mathematical symbol for less than.  When I was talking to the Dr., she asked me how much I drank.  I said, very little.  Occasionally we'll have wine with dinner or a beer.  She said she was concerned by my answer on the sheet because I said I drank MORE than 1 a day.  I had gotten the symbols backwards.  :)  OOPS!  So, when your kids ask you why it's important to know math- tell them it is so they can fill out their medical forms accurately and not freak out their doctors!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I remember learning that the angle bracket is an alligator, and it opens it's mouth toward the bigger pile of food. As in

    {your post's interest} > {my comment's interest}

    ReplyDelete