Saturday, May 9, 2015

Cats and Comfort

We have three cats I am absolutely crazy about.  When I got sick, I told Darrin that none of the cats were allowed to die any time soon- I just wouldn't be able to handle it.  Several months ago Chloe started licking all the fur off her belly.  I noticed and was worried, so Darrin got her an appointment with the vet.  I took her in and he checked her over really thoroughly since she was sitting still and being so good.  Chloe has been my cat since she left her mother at 8 weeks.  We've been together for 14 years.  She is my special girl and we are very attached.  She loves to cuddle.  Finally, the vet finishes up examining her and says, "She seems to be in great physical shape.  Has there been any trauma in your home lately?"  I replied, "Well, I have breast cancer and have been going through lots of really hard treatment."  He said, "That's it!  Your cat is anxious and depressed because you've been sick!"   I could hardly believe it.  I felt so bad that my sweet cat was so worried about her mama.  You non pet people can laugh, but there is a special bond between animals and their people.

This morning (OK, close to noon!), I was gently awakened when another cat, Magnolia gently ran her paw across my face to let me know she was there.  Mags and Chloe are sisters, though I haven't had Mags quite as long as Chloe.  The girls have brought me so much comfort over the last year.  They seem able to intuit how I am feeling and they come to cuddle all the time- sometimes right on top of me, sometimes right next to me, but always close enough so I know they are there to provide comfort.

I've already blogged about Sydney, the therapy cat who sat with me when I had a blood transfusion.

These animals and the comfort they provide are just a reflection of God's comfort- a physical manifestation of his love and care for us. He always knows exactly how we feel and is within reach for comfort at all times.  Often, He knows better than we do that we need His comfort. He has given us cats and dogs and other pets to cuddle with to get the physical side of the mental, emotional, and spiritual comfort He provides.

Today is a day I've needed to feel that comfort a lot- I found my lump one year ago on the night before Mother's Day.  Time to find a kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment