Thursday, May 7, 2015

Giving gifts

5 years ago, just a few months after we got married,  we decided my husband would quit his job and become a professional storyteller.  It was the best decision we ever made.  Of course, when he left his job he left his income, so while he was starting out, we were living pretty much on what I make as a private school teacher (not much!) ;)  We were so thankful we had taken Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University before we got married.  We had no debt but the house and we knew how to budget.

One of the things we chose to do was to have Darrin start going back to Biolife to donate plasma.  Donors get $20-$25 each time they donate, and you can go twice a week.  There are also sometimes bonuses and things like that. They gave us a debit card that is loaded each time he donates.  That money is specifically earmarked for gift giving and special family occasions. Last weekend, we took the kids to The Avengers and then to Red Robin for supper.  We used the Biolife card.  I always tease the children that all their gifts and special things are paid for with Dad's blood.  They literally are.  Because he gives his blood (or plasma, which is in your blood) we are able to have and do fun and special things.

That really got me thinking.  There was Another who gave up His blood, not just so we could do fun and special things, but so we could live eternally in paradise with Him.  Of course he didn't just give up his blood, he gave up his life for us.  To enable us to join Him as a child of God, with eternal life and blessings.  As my body betrays me more and more, I just long for the day of Jesus' return. Because He gave His blood, I know that my pain and fear and frustration are only temporary.  I know I win in the end.  We all do, if our faith is in Jesus, the one who gave his blood to give us the very best gift of all- eternal life with Him in Heaven.  AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment