Thursday, September 4, 2014

Second Taxol Treatment

This morning I went in for my second of 12 taxol treatments.  My blood work came back mixed.  My kidneys are improving slowly, which is very good news.  However, my hemoglobin is pretty low and has been dropping every week for the last 3 weeks.  So, Sylvia decided to order 2 units of blood for a blood transfusion.  They don't do blood at PCI, so I had chemo first and then, after a quick lunch at Subway, headed over to St. Luke's infusion center.  I am currently a little ways in to the first unit.  The whole thing will take about 5 hours, so no work for me today.  I was really glad I had planned a study hall for 6th grade and a work day for world history.  I'm fervently praying that my scripts will arrive in time for drama class at 2:45.  Darrin headed over to the school to take care of the drama kids and play games with them if the scripts don't arrive.  I'll be here until around 5 pm.  Another reason to be so very thankful for meals provided by wonderful friends and church family!

It was tough having to come back to the hospital, even knowing it's only for a few hours.  Having to get a wrist band again made me panic a little, and then when I heard an IV machine beep like mine did so many times I almost lost it.  I had to do some deep breathing to stay in control.  I find that so odd.  I talked with Sylvia about my panic and sadness a little and about the numbness in my fingers.  She thinks the transfusion will help me feel physically better and thus mentally better, and she prescribed a new med that will help with the tingling and will help me sleep better.  She also prescribed percoset to help with the joint pain. We decided to go with those options.  If things do not improve mentally, she can give me a drug that originally was used to treat seizures, but is now used as an anti-depressant for cancer patients (and others).  It's really nice to know that there are so many options.  It also amazes me how much time Sylvia spends with us and how well she listens to me and Darrin.  I really feel like I have choices and am in control of my health.  I appreciate that a lot.

Here's the best thing in the world!!  I was just visited by Sydney the therapy CAT!!  She came up with her handlers and just snuggled on my lap.  It was amazing!  The timing was perfect- God sent her at exactly the right time.  I was a little nervous about the blood transfusion, and it had just started when Sydney arrived.  It took my mind right off of it.  She sat with me for about 10 or 15 minutes, and it was awesome.  Why couldn't she have come around when I was an in patient??  We joked about trying to smuggle one of our cats onto the floor, but we didn't figure they would take it very well. ;)

According to Lynne, 30 people have signed up to join my team for the Especially for You race in Oct.  If you signed up, thanks!!  I can't wait to find out who you all are!  And thanks to all of you for your continued suppport!  GO TEAM ROBIN!

1 comment:

  1. Just checked your blog thinking: " Oh, she won't have written again yet..." So glad I can pray for you now as that wonderful blood does its work!

    ReplyDelete