Monday, July 28, 2014

A great day

Today was really, really good.  I have mostly felt good all day.  We slept very late- almost embarrassingly so.  I guess we both needed the rest.  It was a day of wonderful visitors and answered prayers.

I was actually awake very early for awhile.  While I was trying to get back to sleep I was praying about having more focused, quality time in the Word.  Sometimes I feel like I don't do a very good job of being deliberate about what I am studying.  I prayed for more direction and then went back to sleep.  Later in the morning, Samantha Ulmer stopped by and brought me a beautiful devotional book.  It was a perfect answer to prayer, just hours after I prayed about it.  The section I was reading today pointed me to Hebrews 6.  It was just so perfect.  The chapter starts talking about leaving behind elementary teachings and not grieving the Holy Spirit.  It gets more positive as the author continues.  Here's the text starting at verse 9:

"Even though we speak like this, dear friends, we are confident of better things in your case- things that accompany salvation.  God is not unjust: he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.  We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your hope sure.  We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised. "

Verse 19 continues:  "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.  It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf."

I was just so encouraged by these words today.  It was exactly what my soul needed to hear and be reminded of.   I just love that-  "We are confident of better things in your case."  I don't want to take anything out of context, but those words just leaped off the page at me today.

And then the day just kept being great!  My dear friend Shannon is in town from New Hampshire for a couple days, so I got to spend time with her this afternoon, and then the Lillis' stopped by this evening.  And yesterday, some other dear friends dropped off incredible gifts for the boys (Legos, of course!) and gift cards for Chick-fil-A.  (Luke told me I should get cancer more often so he can get more Legos!) ;) We also got a meatball and cake drop, which also thrilled the hearts of my boys. :) And a lovely couple from church dropped off a meal tonight that we got to enjoy outside in the beautiful weather.  It has been such a day of blessings.  I realized this evening that I didn't even take my midday medicines today- I felt good and didn't need them.  I'm so thankful.  The weekend was pretty tough, and I know I have 2 more weeks of unpleasantness coming before I'm done, so it has been a very sweet day.  I had been missing people, even though I didn't feel like seeing anyone the last few days.  Today's timing was just perfect and such a gift.  Lord willing there will be a couple more good days before we start all over again.  What a change from Sunday morning when I felt like I would never feel good again.  Praise be to the Lord of new days.


1 comment:

  1. I remembered after I got home (to NH, of course) that I also had a big book of crossword puzzles to give you (something to do in the chemo chair) but I guess I forgot it in my excitement to come see you. :) I will put it in the mail this week!

    ReplyDelete