Friday, June 13, 2014

Feeling like Frankenstein's Monster

Yesterday's powerport implantation went ok.  It took two sticks for the IV, which reiterated why I was getting the port.  I felt pretty wretched for awhile yesterday early evening, so Andy stepped up and made a fantastic supper of from scratch chicken tortellini soup and homemade biscuits while Darrin held my hand and told me stories.

I feel like I'm starting to look like Frankenstein's monster (Because Frankenstein was the name of the doctor/inventor, not the monster).   I have scars everywhere.  I suppose as long as I don't end up with bolts in my neck I'll be ok. Darrin and I love watching the show Bones.  It is about a team of scientists who identify badly decomposed remains and solve murders.  I always figure I'd be easy to identify- screws and pins in both feet, a prosthetic stapes in my left ear, scars everywhere. It's comforting to know I wouldn't remain a Jane Doe for long! :)

I did get signed up for the Monday night Look good, Feel better program at Hall-Perrine.  It will be nice to have some tips for feeling/looking normal during all this.  Also, my first hat came from TLC!  It's super cute.  A very amazing, wonderful friend also sent me a gift certificate to buy more hats, so I had fun picking some out to order last night.

As chemo looms closer, I keep getting more frantic about getting things done before I feel awful.  The surgery yesterday has slowed me down, so I was feeling a bit frustrated this morning.  Then I remembered that the world will not stop turning if I don't have whatever project done.  It is much more important for me to spend good time with Andy today, since he leaves tomorrow for a week in Puerto Rico.  When he comes back, I'll have started treatment already.  I want to focus this weekend and early next week on doing fun things with the kids and with Darrin.  I want to take advantage of the energy I do have, rather than dreading the energy I won't have.  So- here's to a few days of adventures!!

7 comments:

  1. You might be surprised at what side effects you have. I always knew , that the 3rd day after my treatment, I would hurt all over.....achey, deep bone pain....kind of like the flu....I would take my ibuprophen and go about my day, knowing this was the chemo working. Then it would pass. The day of my first treatment, Bill was bringing me home and we stopped at a chinese resturant and ATE.....not knowing if it was going to stay down or not. I NEVER got sick. You will hear all kinds of awful side effects, but know that everyone is different. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Good job on correctly calling it "Frankenstein's monster" because not everyone gets that right. ^_^)
    I am so glad God has given you such an amazing family to be there for you!

    1 Chronicles 16:11
    Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.
    Psalm 59:16
    But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy's homemade soup sounds ridiculously delicious! I have no doubt that all those boys are going to take good care of you. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to Mary's thoughts. As an oncology nurse I always told my patients to think of the side effects as proof that they had truly received the medicine and it was working. Sharing chemo stories is like childbirth or surgery stories: each person's story is different and unique but the same God is writing each. I can tell already that yours is a thriller with lots of good drama!! We will most likely be laughing and crying with you through every act....love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers every day. :-) During the two weeks of interval between the first four treatments...you will always have that "turn-around" day...it will be where you feel the bummer side effects lessening and the feeling better increasing! That's when you start catching up...before the next treatment. In the mean time do less, rest. If you are doing the A/C I can only say in capital letters...DRINK -HYDRATE...lots and lots of water. It will help with the side effects...truly. before, during the treatment and after. especially if you are doing the Adriamycin (RED DEVIL) That's the hard one on the body. They don't call it that for nothing. And the Neulasta WILL cause joint pain...Take your OTC pain relievers. it helps...and MOVE...KEEP moving. Even when you don't want to. Stay active. IT DEFINITELY helps the muscles/joints during this period. You're going to hurt whether you are inactive because you don't feel like it, or whether you are active, either way...The "Active" will benefit you...There were days I simply walked laps in my house and counted each one, trying to do one more, because it was HOT outside. You will find what works and get your groove. :-) Hugs to you Robin. COURAGE! Cheering for you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie- All of your comments have been SO helpful. I am doing the A/C treatment first. Darrin and I have committed to walking together every evening if at all possible, and I'm hoping to get into one of the exercise classes at the Cancer Center. The more I read about these drugs, the more thankful I am that I am 'strong-willed'! :) I LOVE reading your comments- thanks so much for your encouragement!!

      Delete
  6. PS - I highly recommend Biotene mouth rinse for the mouth sores (relieving / preventing mouthsores) It was my Go-To. Rinsed my mouth EVERY time I went in the bathroom...during the day. It definitely helped. :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete