Friday, June 6, 2014

Today I Got Cancer

Sorry for the lateness of this post.  We took the kids to Red Robin ( our favorite!) to celebrate summer.

At 2:45 we met with Dr. Buntinas.  I was looking forward to and dreading this appointment at the same time. We went over pathology first.  The tumor was exactly 2 cm, which puts it right between stage one and stage two for size.  It was high grade, meaning aggressive.  It had micrometastisized to one of the two sentinel nodes.  Because of the metastasis, it became a stage 1B or stage 2B cancer.  The B indicates lymph node involvement.

I would have had to have a short round of chemo even if it weren't in the lymph nodes due to its aggressive nature.  However, because it is in the nodes, I will have to do twenty (yes, you read that right!) weeks of chemo, followed by a short break and then 6 weeks of radiation.  I should be finished with those treatments right at the end of the calendar year.

Here's what will happen:
Sometime in the next two weeks, I'll have a minor outpatient surgery to insert a port.  This port will be under the skin, and will enable the chemo treatments to be administered much more easily and less painfully.  On Tuesday the 10th, I'll see my surgeon, Dr. Kerri Nowell, for a postop visit.  Then, right after that, I'll see her husband, Dr. Andrew Nowell, who will evaluate and set up a time to do the surgery to place the port.

We want that all to happen before June 19th.  On the 17th, I will meet with the chemo educator who will teach us all about chemo and side effects.  On the 19th, I will have my first chemo treatment.  On the 20th, I will go in for a shot to boost my white blood counts so they can do a treatment every two weeks instead of every three.  I am going to be in a clinical study to evaluate bone pain from those shots.  I don't think I'll get any benefit, but if it helps them figure out how to make them less painful in the future, that's great.

The first round of chemo will be the nasty one.  I will have a combo of two drugs once every two weeks for a total of 4 treatments and 4 shots (8 weeks).  Then I will have a single drug once a week for 12 weeks. Each treatment takes between 3-4 hours.

So- today I got cancer.  Now it's real.  I was expecting chemo, but I was not expecting 20 weeks of it.  We will have to deal with this during the school year, which will not be much fun.  BUT- we have already worked the treatment schedule around so that I can go on both little trips we had planned for the summer.  This is really great news.

Tonight's email is simply information.  I have lots of thoughts rolling about in my brain that I'd like to share later.  Thanks for your prayers and support!  Don't forget to pray for Darrin, too.  GO TEAM ROBIN!

8 comments:

  1. I drove by twice today. A blessing on your house! No advice or info, just support for the Whole Crow Family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Robin! Love you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings to you Robin. Praying for you. I have walked this same path in the last year. I know what you are going through. Twenty chemos and 6 weeks of radiation that ended blessedly on Dec. 31st. You are in my prayers every day. and your dear caregiver and kids will have our prayers too. God bless and heal you. Been following along here after Kam told me about your diagnosis. (((hugs))) Julie Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know what to say! We are praying for your whole family. We are here to support you in whatever way we can! Norma Vogt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying! I know God is in total control. I recognize some of the cancer jargon from my dad going through it. I love you Robin Clinnneee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your family are in my prayers as well! It is so interesting how my first thought was "you need to talk to Julie Smith." Wa La! I see she already posted a comment. She is such a source of strength in more ways than she will ever know and she has walked your path ahead of you. I will be praying and please don't hesitate to call me if you need someone to come in for an hour or two or for the whole day for that matter this upcoming school year. My children may no longer be there but I still feel as though CVCS is my home. One year at a time, who knows we may be back! :-) Keep fighting the fight!! I know that some day in the near future we will have a cure. If scientist can come up with chemicals to kill weeds and not the grass I'm certain they can come up with a chemical to kill the nasty cells and keep the beneficial ones in tact!! :-) Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete